Pretzel Shamrocks Tutorial

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I came up with these as I was brainstorming some fun ideas for the kids to celebrate St. Patricks Day. I'll be honest... growing up, I had no idea what St. Patrick's Day was and all I cared about was making sure I was wearing green on March 17th. As long as the kids walk away with fun memories - that's all I can ask. We have read about leprechauns and talked about finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. We have also talked about shamrocks and the significance of the three leaflets and why some think it to be a lucky charm. So this snack was a fun one to present to them. I did not do this with them as I wasn't looking for a chocolate and sprinkle covered kitchen - but the kids could easily help or even do this one on their own.

Materials:
Pretzels - the knots and the mini sticks (I bought mine at the dollar store)
White melting chocolate - I used CandiQuik because I had it left over from Christmas
Green sprinkles (or you could use food coloring and color the chocolate)

Step 1: Melt the chocolate (or in the case of CandiQuik - candy coating) as directed on the package. I do it in the microwave and it only takes a little over a minute. Stir it when it comes out of the microwave to evenly distribute the heat and to melt those parts that didn't melt.

Step 2: Dip three knot pretzels and one mini stick. I just did less the half the pretzel and the tip of the stick because I didn't want a huge mess. But you could dip the entire thing for a very yummy shamrock.

Step 3: Assemble them as shown in the picture with the stick in the middle making sure that as each pretzel is up against another.

Step 4: Cover with sprinkles and allow to dry (only takes 5-10 minutes depending on how much coating you have).

Super easy!

15 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com March 12, 2009 at 12:23 PM  

YUM! I know I'm going to love this salty sweet combo, I can't wait to try this!

katy March 12, 2009 at 12:54 PM  

totally agree about the sweet and salty thing. yum! another great idea, Kayce!

Kathi March 13, 2009 at 4:18 AM  

How cute! Do they stay together when you pick them up??

' March 13, 2009 at 7:58 AM  

Yep - once they are dry, you can pick them up - they are yummy too! I've eaten most of the first batch... so now I need to make more :)

Anonymous,  March 13, 2009 at 12:34 PM  

I wonder if I could manage to ship some to my grandchildren without them smashing? Gotta try, they're so cute!

Jessica March 13, 2009 at 1:12 PM  

This is a cute idea. I just made one with large pretzels (don't have small ones) and it turned out cute! I also made chocolate pretzels with green sprinkles. Have had the stuff to make them, but kept forgetting until seeing this post! I also dipped marshmallows in chocolate and then rolled them in crushed graham crackers for "smores". :D

' March 13, 2009 at 2:19 PM  

These are pretty sturdy when picked up. I'm sure if they are packed well, they'll survive the mail.

Anonymous,  March 15, 2009 at 4:47 PM  

these look super yummy! We featured them in our St. Patty's day article at http://www.GirlfriendCelebrations.com. Even though they are fun for kids, they are also perfect for PMS sweet/salty cravings. ;) Thanks to http://www.OnePrettyThing.com for the tip!

Crescent Moon March 17, 2009 at 8:54 AM  

I just found this link on Crafty Crow. I wish I had seen this project before St. Patrick's Day, because they are so cute! I guess I'll have to try to remember this for next year.

Vone March 18, 2009 at 11:20 AM  

I made these yesterday with my daughter - so yummy. I actually made more while she was napping since I had already eaten 2 of them.
I linked to them on my blog
www.howtodosomething.blogspot.com

Nancy,  March 14, 2010 at 11:43 AM  

What a great, simple idea! I did this with my kids today and my 4th grade CCD class (substituting green icing for melting chocolate), and it was a HUGE, yummy hit! Thank you!

Nancy

valentinegirl February 18, 2011 at 1:46 PM  

Well, DUH!! This is amazing...I love to do all sorts of chocolate pretzels...I can't believe I have never seen this before. I LOVE IT!! Cute!

Ms Debbie February 21, 2011 at 7:43 PM  

I will be doing this this year!@ thanks@

Anonymous,  March 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM  

What a great idea! I'm including these in my Friday Favorites this week!

Marie {Make and Takes} March 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM  

How darling are these! What a great idea. I'd love to have you submit them to my M&T Spotlight page: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP