Popcorn Sheep Tutorial

Monday, February 23, 2009

Lately, I've had a thing about popcorn popped on the stove. I'm not sure why. I think I might just be sick of the microwave variety. The problem with doing it on the stove, however, is that I'm not so great at controlling the amount that I pop. This means that I end up with way too much.

We've left some out for the birds - but I feel bad leaving them too much. I don't want them to get sick and it seems like an unhealthy diet. I know, bird diets are different than ours - but I picture them needing more nutrients and protein. Wouldn't want them to get full on popcorn :)

I digress. I had the kids make lambs or sheep with some of left over popcorn one time. They had a great time gluing and eating (not in that order) and they even elaborated on my sheep idea by putting the sheep on a background. Robbie made a background of a farm - such a practical little boy and Lyssie made a background of a crocodile eating the sheep - speaks volumes of her personality and the differences between the two of them.

Here's a quick tutorial;
Materials

Glue
Paper (thicker paper is best so that it can support the weight of the popcorn)
Pencil
Scissors
Markers
Popcorn
Dish and brush for the glue (I use the top of a yogurt container - its works great. I've reused it several times)
Step 1: Trace a hand print onto paper. We used construction paper - they chose to make purple lambs. I might have chosen a different color - but whatever.
Step 2: Cut out the hand print. Robbie cut out his own, I cut Lyssie's out (really because of time constraints - I didn't want to fall asleep while still only on step 2).
Step 3: Draw a face on the sheep. The head being the thumb and the fingers being the legs. Lyssie didn't quite get what we were doing and I think she might have been painting the nails red. Again - whatever.
Step 4: Glue the popcorn on to the palm of the hand print for the wool. We dipped the popcorn in the glue and I'm sure my husband will cringe when he sees that I did this without covering the table. It cleaned up just fine. You could fore go the dipping and just put dots of glue on the paper if you are like my husband and prefer minimal mess (I admit, I am also the same way).
Step 5: This is the part the kids added - make a background for the sheep.
Step 6: Glue the sheep onto the background. Sheep picture below is Lyssie's crocodile eating the sheep. Two of the sheep are also running away (the one upside down is the one being devoured).


2 comments:

UtahJenny February 23, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

Very cute - I have been doing popcorn on the stove, too!!! I really like the taste - sooooo much better than the microwave we used to eat a ton of!

Good to know there are things to do with all the leftovers we have. And you tin looked yummy - even if you couldn't use a straw!

James January 28, 2011 at 12:19 AM  

Good to know there are things to do with all the leftovers we have.

phentermine without rx

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP