Tackle it Tuesday! Draw String T-Shirt Sleeve Bag Tutorial

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

It's been a while since I've done a Tackle it Tuesday post to help reduce my many boxes of tshirt scraps. I figure it's time to get back into the swing of things. Today, I'm sharing a tutorial on how to make the sleeve bags that I've been making lately.

These would be great for those that are making market totes from tshirts as they have left over sleeves. These can be used for smaller amounts of produce at the store and they would match your market tote! Of course, there are many other uses for these... and they are easy and fun to make.
Materials:

  • 2 sleeves (larger sleeves work best)
  • A scrap of cotton
  • Cord for draw string

Step 1: Cut sleeves open at the side seam and place the two pieces right sides together. Pin on the hem side.

Step 2: Fold in half and square the edges off (you can also cut it to whatever shape you choose (bottom curved, etc). I leave the fold side intact for one less stitch that I have to make and for less bulk.

Step 3: Cut two strips from cotton for the cord casing. I made mine an inch larger than the length of the hemmed side by 2". Since every sleeve is a different size, you will need to measure your piece for an accurate measurement. Remember, you will be folding the ends of each strip back so allow about half an inch extra on each side. (You can also just cut one strip if you want the casing to be continuous around the bag - see the green and grey bag in the first picture).

Step 4: With sleeves spread flat, insert folded casing strip into the non-hemmed side of the sleeve, starting from the center). Be sure to fold your end under so that there won't be any raw edges exposed. Pin in place. Repeat with the other side of the strip - folding it back at least a quarter of an inch from the edge for the seam allowance (see pictures below). Do this for the other half of the sleeve as well so that you have to casings.


Step 5: Stitch along non-hemmed side joining the two sleeve pieces with the casing in the center. I use a quarter inch seam allowance.

Step 6: Open the sleeves up with the casing in the center. Fold in half the other direction and pin in place. I start from the seam in the center to be sure it lines up.



Step 7: Stitch around the edges leaving an opening on one end (opening should be on the side that will be on the inside of the bag).


Step 8: Trim the three corners (not the corner with the opening) and turn the bag inside out pulling it through the opening.


Step 9: Stitch the opening closed. I usually use the machine and top stitch it closed. This time I hand stitched it because it was white and I had a different color thread in the machine. Ideally it won't show unless you choose to use this as a reversible bag.


Step 10: Push the inside into the bag (in my case, it is the white side that went inside the red).

Step 11: Thread your cord through the casings. I use a safety pin to help guide it through. I made my cord from braiding strips of tshirts (half inch strips pulled tight).



The kids have been using these bags for all their treasures. If you want to applique a design on to the bag, I recommend doing it after you have stitched the casing in to place (after step 5).

12 comments:

MyWayToSay May 12, 2009 at 11:33 AM  

WOOW what a great deal !!! Viva to crafty mom :)! Thank you for shering !

Kristin May 12, 2009 at 8:38 PM  

I really like this idea! thanks!

michelle@somedaycrafts May 12, 2009 at 11:08 PM  

Very cool! I like this idea of recycling the sleeves!

Michelle May 13, 2009 at 5:53 AM  

what a great idea! I love this, seems so easy too. TFS

Kirsten May 13, 2009 at 12:04 PM  

Thanks for the tutorial! I'm going to bookmark this to try soon - I've been feeling crafty!

Anne May 14, 2009 at 6:55 AM  

Great idea!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing Blog:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-drawstring-bag-from-a-t-shirt-sleeve/2009/05/14/
--Anne

Jon Brown November 29, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

Hi There, I needed a link for making drawstring bags for a project of my own and found your fantastic ones.

I hope you don't mind me linking here from my blog. Check it out at http://posersgame.blogetery.com/ and tell me if it's not cool.

Cheers,
Jon.

Anonymous,  September 23, 2010 at 9:41 AM  

This is beautiful but it seems like something I could use during Christmas time because everything is red, by the way my friend Sildenafil Citrate likes to make it too.

Anonymous,  January 18, 2011 at 1:23 AM  

Thanks for the tutorial! I'm going to bookmark this to try soon - I've been feeling crafty!

Funny Teeshirts

James January 28, 2011 at 12:08 AM  

Hi There, I needed a link for making drawstring bags for a project of my own side effects and found your fantastic ones.

Sourav August 18, 2011 at 7:53 AM  

Those bags are so cute! A t-shirt can be recycled in many things, options are limitless. In the past I have made bermudas out of them, made tote bags, many things can be done. Thanks for sharing those awesome ideas.

T-Shirts Online

Unknown April 20, 2014 at 6:04 AM  

So Cute sist..Glad to visit your site. An awesome blog. Nice Information It's really very informative that I wanted ever, thanks for this. Obat Herbal Bali Ratih Obat Jerawat Tulisan Indah Suplemen Fitnes Murah

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP