Puzzle Tree Ornament Tutorial
Friday, December 12, 2008
I finally sent these ornaments out yesterday for our ornament exchange through the Crafty Crow (sorry that they were a little late!). But Robbie had fun making them... and then letting me finish them once he lost interest. He was good for the first few - then got tired of doing it over and over.
Anyhow, I thought I'd share a tutorial on these as they came out really cute. I also made a few for our tree in the shape of a wreath - using the same method, just a circle instead of a triangle.
Materials needed:
- Puzzle (I went to the local thrift store and found a 1000 piece puzzle that had lots of green in it -.99! The 1000 piece puzzles have nice small puzzle pieces)
- Glue (we used a glitter glue)
- Waxed paper
- Permanent marker
- Sequins (optional)
- Twine (string or yarn - something to hang it with)
- Green paint
- Sponges
1. Pull out all the green puzzle pieces. You don't have to use green - you are welcome to make your tree any color you want.
2. Draw the shape of the tree (or whatever shape you want) onto the waxed paper with the permanent marker as a guide.
3. Lay your first layer of puzzle pieces out using your drawing as the guide. Try to get the pieces as close together as you can.
4. Run a line of glue from one pieces to the other in the places you plan to put the second layer. Keep in mind, the second layer pieces will be covering the gaps of the first layer so you will want to keep your glue toward the inside part of your tree and the edge of the pieces. Excess glue is okay if you plan on decorating your tree later with sequins.
5. Place your second layer of puzzle pieces on top of the glue. Be sure to overlap your pieces and cover as many gaps as you can (rather than placing on puzzle piece right on top of the other). Overlapping the pieces will give you a fuller tree - and will keep the tree together.
6. Repeat step 4&5 for a third row.
7. Decorate with sequins if desired. I put sequins on the glue that was left after placing the puzzle pieces - then added a few dots of glue on the to layer. If your tree is a bit "off", you can adjust it now, while the glue is wet, by pushing the pieces together.
8. Allow to dry (I waited about 5 hours) and peel from the waxed paper.
9. Turn it over and paint the back. We used two different color paints and sponged them on to give a more textured look.
** I recommend spraying the finished ornament with a sealant of some sort. I didn't have time before I had to put them in the mail. **



9 comments:
That's a great idea for the kids to do, I know the kids will enjoy making them, thanks for the instructions
phoooey. just wrote you a long comment and blogger lost it! basically i said, "yay, I like these. Submit this to the Crafty Crow."
YAY! More ornament ideas! Totally fun.
My boys did something similar to this in school a few years ago. They framed one of their pictures in the center of the tree. Very cute:)
Very cool. I am a teacher and always looking for good and easy ideas for kids to make things. Especially for Christmas.
That's so funny as when my husband visit Viagra Online we have a lot of fun anything compared as before.Generic Viagra Buy Viagra
I love this ornament and your tutorial and hope you dont mind that I featured it in my post about all the cool things you can do with recycled puzzle pieces
http://mel-designs.typepad.com/my-blog/2010/12/things-to-do-with-recycled-puzzle-pieces.html
After reading about ativan side effects I will try to make that!
Good Afternoon
I have seen some of your ideas of using puzzle pieces for different arts and crafts and would like to ask your permission to use some of your photos.
I am currently writing a jigsaw puzzle book and am including a chapter about quirky ideas to use jigsaw puzzle pieces.
If you have any photos you wouldn't mind me using that would be great! Of course you will be credited in my book.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks
Holly
Post a Comment