The ironing is complete
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Well, at least until I get the strips all sewn together. I really can't say enough how much I hate to iron. When sewing, I'd rather top stitch than get up and iron a seam. Yep, I'm lazy. But I forced myself to iron all the strips out after I completed sewing them this morning. It took all day (no, I'm not THAT bad at ironing - I have been taking care of a sick 3 year old) but I'm glad I'm past that hurdle.
I spread them out again to be sure I had them in the correct order... then I marked them so I would know which ones to sew together. Since I've been doing this so slowly, I needed a system that would work even if I walked away for days at a time. I decided the pins that I use for temporarily marking sizes on the tshirt dresses would also work on the quilt.
So, I placed a numbered pin on each strip and I put two colored ones on the first and second strip (so I knew which side to sew together to get it all started). I haven't started sewing yet, but I'm confident this system will work for me.
After seeing it all together with the strips sewn together, I'm realizing that it's going to be smaller than I had originally thought. I had the measurements right - but it looked bigger in my head :) I am hoping for a nice size blanket for Robbie to curl up in. So, my original plan of just binding the edges is being reconsidered. I might have to do a border. Ugh! That means I have to figure out what fabric I want to use for the border. I am already having a hard time figuring out what to back it with. I do still like my idea of a backing with a few charm squares scattered about. The only issue with this idea is the quilting. I'm afraid it'll look odd after I've quilted from the top. Perhaps I'm over thinking it again.
So, I'll take it one step at a time and hope that it'll come to me when I get to that point.



2 comments:
it is beautiful... and I would guess you might be over thinking it a bit..I would suggest just relaxing and having fun and doing one step at a time..borders and backing you will know when they are right... just look at some options and think about different ideas and go with what feels right :)
Pretty!
Post a Comment