Where does it leave people like me?

Friday, January 2, 2009

I love to make things for children. I had a great childhood... and it didn't consist of all mass produced toys - don't get me wrong, I had my fair share. But my favorite childhood memories are from the times when I used my imagination. Like when I went camping with my friends on our front lawn using our extra large tinker toys in ways they were never intended. Or when my friends and I would put on productions with the large number of dress-up clothes my mom had gathered. Or even the time when I made a horse from the fold up cushion and a few other things I found around my room.


When I first started sewing and selling things through World of Whimm... this was my intent. To make things that would spark the imagination of kids. Not full costumes, just accessories that would give their imagination a little boost. Toys that would get their wheels turning - bright, colorful items with various textures.
I'm currently working on getting all my stock listed in the shop to try to clear some of it out before February 10th. It's a looming deadline for many of us who make handmade items - especially those geared toward kids. It could potentially close my business that I've worked very hard to get off the ground.

I haven't talked about it much on the blog because I feel that I haven't read enough to speak knowledgeably on the topic. But the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act CPSIA (see the links to the left) is real and it is wide reaching. I am sure that it will effect everyone in one form or another. Keeping our kids safe should be a priority - but I don't agree with this new legislation that Bush has passed.
Please follow the links to the left and help us save handmade toys. I was reading a blog last night and I think she summed it up best by saying that "it feels like the sky is falling". I find myself sad when I think about the future of my small business. Everyday it comes up when I am faced with the decision to stop making things or to continue and hope for the best.

So, for now, check out my shops regularly as I'll be listing like crazy. I currently have the World of Whimm shop open and the On A Whimm shop. I'm working on getting NueToMe up and running - probably by next week.
** Amended: As a reader has pointed out, this new legislation affects more than just toys. It is my limited understanding that it includes any product that is geared toward or perceived as an item for a child 12 and under. I try to shy away from topics on my blog that bring controversy mainly because it is impossible to cover all points, both sides and personal opinions. However, I do feel it is important to bring awareness to the topic and hope that you will support the efforts in saving our small businesses. Please check out this site for more information: http://www.fashion-incubator.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous,  January 2, 2009 at 11:40 AM  

Thanks for publicizing this but this affects more than just toys. Since your toys are actually sewn products, you might want to connect with some of our 900+ members in the "War Room" for up to the minute updates and focused activism. http://tinyurl.com/5fhzbd

' January 2, 2009 at 11:49 AM  

Ahhh - good point, it does affect more than just toys - as it will also affect my clothing line and other shops. I will ammend my post as I was just focused on one store for this blog but I do want people to be aware of how wide spread it truly is.

Thanks!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP