Look what I did today!
Thursday, August 6, 2009
See those cute little eyes (on the dolls that my son designed) - they are screen printed! And no, I don't have any materials for screen printing. The Yudu screen printing system that we bought for NueToMe resides in San Jose with my parents. And I wouldn't have used such a huge screen print for such a small item. So, I looked for another solution.
First of all, this came about because I'm trying to reduce the amount of things that I need to do to help my son make these things. While I do plan on teaching him to sew - sewing around tiny little eyes is not the first skill we will be working on. So, I was looking for an easy alternative. I thought about having him draw every face on to each doll... but knowing my son, he would get tired of that process... besides when we tried this, the ink just wasn't bold enough.
So, painting is what came to mind next. Of course, it's hard enough painting small details on paper - on a fabric, it's 10 times harder. And I wanted to set him up for success, not failure. From the techniques I've learned... screen printing was the answer. But I wanted it to be his size - something manageable.
So today while he spent the day at Art Camp and the rest of the day at his dad's work... I experimented with making a screen printing system that he would be able to do. First, I made a screen from an old frame (it's a 4x6 frame), some silver organza fabric I had (I looked at using tulle - but even my smallest seemed like the holes would be too big... it was also important that I found a fabric that we could see through) and my husband's manual staple gun.
I have to make more of these, so I'll try to do a tutorial on the next one. A few things that didn't go as planned... the staples didn't go all the way in - I got over this as they went in most of the way (and I can hammer them flat later if it becomes a problem); a few of the staples poke out the side because the frame was slightly slanted on the side - again I got over it pretty quickly; and there was a good gap between the fabric and the frame where I wrapped it around - nothing a little packing tape couldn't fix.
I tested it out with Lyssie. I drew the basic outline of Robbie's doll pattern several times on a piece of paper and asked her to give them faces. Then I chose two of them that would be the easiest to transfer on to the screen. I put one face on each end of the screen to utilize the screen a little bettwe.



4 comments:
Yay! This is fantastic! You're so crafty :) I found this article about using acrylic on fabric: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080410185625AA9qvjR (It looks like it should work just fine)
Awesome! Good job. Look forward to a tutorial.
When I was a pre-teen, I painted a lot of my clothes with my mom's acrylic paint. As far as I can remember, I never had any trouble with it washing out... much to Mom's chagrin, I'm sure. :)
this is so brilliant. and we haven't had any trouble keeping acrylic on cloth!! it defies stain removers.
Post a Comment