Muffin Tins

Thursday, June 19, 2008

I read this blog - Sycamore Stirrings - it's a fantastic read. She's very creative. Anyhow, she is starting this new things that she has named Muffin Tin Monday. It sounded like fun, so I decided to take part. Of course, I can't seem to do anything on time... so my Muffin Tin Monday has turned into Muffin Tin Thursday. Not quite the same ring.

Here it is! My first attempt. This was a ton of fun and I hope to do it again. I also hope to find better muffin tins. The only ones I had, luckily I had two, were the ones that the kids use to sort the buttons. They are shallow which actually works out in portion size.

Muffin Tin includes the following;

Mini Burger/Slider
Quesadilla pieces
Lightly Sauteed Carrots and Green Beans
Leafy Salad with vinagrette dressing
(Robbie's had pears - Lyssie can't have them)
Turkey Meat
Raisins
I had made the sliders a few nights ago with the left over meat from dinner. I made the buns from two regular pieces of whole grain bread and added cheese on the top and bottom. The turkey meat is a big boneless one from Costco that we slice up all at once. It's perfect for lunches through the week and it often renders enough to put one bag in the freezer for the following week.
I am happy to report that presenting this lunch in the muffin tin... I think encouraged them to eat more. And, they tried a little bit of everything! Robbie only had the burger (no bread or cheese) left with one bite taken out of it and the green beans. Lyssie had the burger with the top bread and top cheese missing, some green beans and carrots and most of the salad left. I think I even hit all the food groups!
This lunch also went together fairly quickly... I sauteed the vegetables in the same pan that I used to make the quesadilla and the salad was just a bit from my own lunch. The rest was open a box, reheat left overs, or open a can.
The kids are looking forward to another lunch like this tomorrow. I told them this was just a once a week thing. So now I'm looking forward to figuring out what I'm going to do for next week!

4 comments:

Unknown June 19, 2008 at 6:34 PM  

soooo cute! I've seen someone doing a similar thing on Flickr with lunch trays. I want someone to make my lunch in one of those!

katy June 23, 2008 at 1:31 PM  

wish I would have found you sooner. This is super. GREAT selections. You're getting a double link from me.

Carrie June 23, 2008 at 1:37 PM  

wow! I've just been finding stuff off the shelf and out of the fridge... you're amazing, cooking little meals for each tray!

Bonita June 28, 2008 at 1:57 PM  

Such healthy, yummy selections. I like your menu!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP