Research

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I've polled my cat-owning friends - given a few samples out to "testers" (Emma, yours is still waiting to be mailed, I refuse to go out in the snow and ice - even for this cute little catnip toy) and made a few adjustments to my new Scrappy Catnip Monsters. Now to consider pricing.

My Scrappy Little Monsters, that are the same size, sell for $8.00 - so I'd like to keep these toys around the same price - it makes sense to me. But I'm not sure if $8.00 for a catnip toy is appropriate. So... I need to research.


With the ice, snow and frigid temperatures... I've chosen to do my research in the comfort of my own home on the Internet. I love the Internet. In my research, I've found some unusual designs... simple designs... and, well, you decided. I'm going to give you some sample (with links if you decided you can't live with it - click on the picture). I hope to have my Scrappy Catnip Monsters in the On A Whimm shop soon. Seems like an odd mix, but that shop will be primarily Button Tacks, Catnip toys, Scarves, Pin Cushions and Fabric Weights and Zippered bags.

Here are a few of the Catnip Toys I've found...

This toy says "Lick me, Bite me, Bunnykick me" - is that a cat thing??? I don't really get it. It's about 4" across. The words are stamped on. This little heart will set you back $7.15





The Polluck fish. This "little" guy is 11 inches long. He is $8.99



The Flea catnip toy. I'm not sure why you would want a flea toy around... perhaps because this little guy only costs $2.99. This flea is 3" long.




Catnip Chew Mice. I'm guessing this comes in a sew of two of these guys and the netting is supposed to work like floss??? No size given... $5.99



Catnip Critter Mouse. Maybe the closest to my monster??? 4" x 1.5" for $4.99. He has a crinkly sound to him.
So, I'm curious... anyone have any thoughts? Opinions? My toy isn't mass produced so I can't go as low as some of these. And these have catnip which is an added expense that my monsters don't have. Hmmmm....

4 comments:

katy December 17, 2008 at 4:22 AM  

I think they are darling - but I would add an elastic string so they can be boined (made up word from boing boing) to tease the cat. A feather or some yarn or frayed scraps would also entice a cat. Our cat loves the feathers on a wand - other than that she'd rather just watch. She's old, though. Probably not in your cat demographic :)

katy December 17, 2008 at 4:23 AM  

sorry, Kayce - just realized you're asking about pricing. Shoulda added my 2 cents on your previous post.

Unknown December 17, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

Ha, this post is so fun, funny images. I think $8 seems reasonable for a handmade toy. I'd certainly be willing to spend that much for something distinctive. Last year we bought some toys from Jake & Micah on Etsy, which I think were roughly $5 ea before shipping, and a simpler design than these. So $8 seems plenty fair. I'd say $10-$12 max though, at some point it becomes a bit much to spend on something your cat will drool all over and roll through the dustiest corners of the apartment! :)

' December 17, 2008 at 5:38 PM  

Thanks for the input both of you! I appreciate any information I can get!

Katy - I have the feathers that I make for the indian headdresses and Robin Hood hats... wonder if those would be fun stuffed with catnip as well.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP