Tanzania
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Several months ago I had to cut up a Tanzania shirt because I needed a strip of the green color. But I loved the graphic (a bunch of animals printed in black) and wanted to be sure that the shirt didn't go to waste... it went into my scrap pile never to be seen again. But, today while the kids were playing in the scrap box, it resurfaced - and I got inspired.
Now, this isn't really a dress as I designed it on my dress form (3-4 years) but was looking at my daughter (she's in 18 mo - 2T right now) . The result is a top for a 3-4 year old as it isn't long enough to be a dress. And it's a little big on my daughter around the chest and arm holes. But I still love it and I think it would make a great top for a little girl. I've left many of the edges raw and I've zig-zag stitched around some of the edges to make them a little wavy. It's hard to see in the pictures, but the skirt is actually two layers. The bottom layer is the bottom of the shirt I used and the top layer (which ends about two inches above the bottom hem) has been zig-zag stitched to make a small ruffle. The band around the middle has raw edges on both sides and it's been stitched down the middle with a simple leaf stitch (I love my sewing machine!). I've embellished the band with three roses (made from the seams of the sleeves).

This dress/top was so much fun to make. I even made a pattern (gasp - that never happens!) - I'll just be sure to extend the length of the pattern a little more next time I want to make it a dress. But I really am happy about the look of the top.
I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet - list it in the store or save it for my daughter. So, it gets added to the pile of things I've made where I'm undecided. Perhaps you'll see in this in the store in the future - or maybe it'll show up in pictures on my daughter. You never know!
3 comments:
I love this! Fabulous piece.
that is so chic! I love it!
It looks wonderful! Great job!
Post a Comment