Spider Webs

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

This morning, when we went to pick Robbie up from the bus, Lyssie and I noticed a large number of spider webs. Perhaps it's the time of year... or maybe it was the cool, brisk and foggy morning that made them even more visible... whatever it was, I couldn't help but admire these fabulous pieces of art. I'm not a huge fan of spiders - so I found the best part being that the majority of them were unoccupied. Most of the trees had somewhere between four to ten webs in various sizes. The work of several spiders? Or just a few?

Once Robbie got off the bus, the kids and I walked around the block and snapped a few pictures of them. The kids loved the hunt. Running ahead of me, searching the various trees and bushes for the best and biggest web they could find.

I found all the webs to be inspiring. I enjoyed looking at each one individually, admiring the patterns and artistry that made each one unique. They reminded me of the stitching in a quilt.

But I think my favorite part of each spider web we saw was the way that the dew clung to the near invisible strings of silk. I'm am in awe of nature... and it's nice to enjoy it with my kids. I'm logging this for future reference so that, when I have time, I can explore these patterns a little more in my crafts.

Fall is my favorite time of year in Washington. Although this year I'm having a hard time adjusting to the chill it brings, the colors that accompany fall makes it all worthwhile.

4 comments:

katy October 15, 2008 at 11:20 PM  

These are AMAZING! You got great shots of them too!

Dawn October 16, 2008 at 5:40 PM  

Those are some wonderful photos! :)

And as for the fall thing, I think the chill just happened so much faster this year than it did last year. That's my only basis of comparison, even though I was here in the fall several years ago (just for 5 days that time). But it was like BOOM cold this year. Bizarre!

' October 16, 2008 at 5:57 PM  

Lyssie and I were super disappointed this morning to find that just about all the webs were gone!

Oh - and these pictures don't even capture a fraction of their beauty!

cindy October 17, 2008 at 9:38 AM  

i really like the way the webs look with dew on them. spiders kinda freak me out, and there are webs everywhere at this time of year! i too have tried to take pictures of them, especially when there is a particularly wicked big spider in it, but it never translates to the photo well!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP