Homework with the first grader

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Homework. Ugh! I have to admit, it's not my favorite time of the day. But it is getting better... and dare I say, we even have fun sometimes! Our favorite part is the sheet they send home of things he can do for "extra credit" (he gets a surprise if he completes it). It's got some fun activities away from the paper and pencil.

This week, my favorite was pulling cans from the cupboard and having him alphabetize them. He loved it and it was an easy way for me to show him how to alphabetize things that have the same letter. He's a visual learner (so am I), so it was nice to see it click for him and you could see that he was excited to do more!


This wasn't part of his homework... more something he did himself. He asked his dad if his day would trade him change for dollars. His dad agreed... so he went to work counting out dollars. I was impressed with how well he did. He came up with lots of different combinations to make the 100. Money is definitely starting to mean something to him. With the money he had saved before and the money he traded his dad for... he was able to buy himself two small Lego sets.

We've also been working on reading time... which is a bit harder when you don't have a real clock in the house. But we've managed and I'm happy to say he's getting better! Yay for learning!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP