Plant update
Saturday, May 2, 2009
Many of the seeds that the kids planted on Earth Day are starting to sprout. Some of them (mainly the ones in the milk containers and the ones under the water bottle tops) are getting big enough that they need to be transplanted.
Unfortunately, I'm not ready to plant them in the ground. Our garden is still full of weeds. Sadly, I can't really do anything about that until my husband is home long enough to help me. At the very least, I need someone here to help me inside if my back goes out on me (which is entirely possible). So, the weeds are taunting me... and the seeds are outgrowing their temporary homes.
So, I made them larger ones. This time, I made them from newspaper so that I could plant them directly into the ground. I read this idea last year and have been wanting to do it for a while now. The nice thing about these little planting pots is the Robbie can make them himself. They are so simple! If you haven't made them before, there is a tutorial on Instructables here.
The only thing I did differently was that I folded the top edge over to make it a bit more sturdy when filling since this is Lyssie's task. We transplanted sweetpeas, a flowering vine and a few zucchini plants. Who knows if these will survive the wait for a permanent house... but really, if they can't survive the wait, they wouldn't survive the garden neglect that happens all the time anyway.

I'm really loving these little newspaper pots though. There are also places on Etsy where you can buy them if you don't subscribe to the paper or don't want to take the time to make them yourself. You can find them here and here. Also, if you make a lot of these, I think it would be awesome to own this... I kind of want one, but can't really justify it.
I hope that either my back improves or my husband gets at least an hour at home when the weather is decent to pull a few weeds. Otherwise, I might have to improvise and put a garden in our bathtub - it does get really good light! haha!
0 comments:
Post a Comment