Ailing animal

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Over the past week, the family dog has come against hard times. For some reason, she started limping one day... and over a few days it got progressively worse where she wouldn't put weight on the leg at all. My husband finally gave in and took her to the vet. While they aren't exactly sure what it is (no fracture as they did take an X-ray - perhaps a sprain), they were concerned that her other leg would suffer if she continued to favor the other one while the injured leg healed. So, they splinted it. She has to wear the splint for three weeks - along with the fashionable (read: humiliating) collar.

Not only did they splint it - but they did it before the grooming we had requested. Which means they weren't able to groom her. Grrrr... seems to me they could have groomed her first. But I digress. The splint isn't supposed to get wet. We live in Everett, WA which happens to be in the Convergence Zone" which means excess rain. Sooo... we've been bagging it when she goes out. But this means that we have to stay very close to her so that she doesn't wander and the bag doesn't fall off.

I have to admit, this idea was not my own. The idea to make a cover was my husband's and it was his idea to use a plastic bottle (perhaps having all the plastic bottles around that I refuse to toss are starting to work their inspirational magic on him as well).

We cut a water bottle in half, punched holes along the edge and I crocheted a little sleeve. I also added a stretchy band (hair band) to the top so that it would stay on her leg. Oh, and because I can, I added a small ruffle :)

Here is our humiliated dog sporting the new sleeve. I have yet to give it a go as she asks less frequently to go outside... but it stays on well, so I'm confident that it'll serve it's purpose.

4 comments:

Unknown May 20, 2009 at 4:37 PM  

Oh my goodness! lol My Pomeranian jumped and broke her foot and had to wear one of those lovely casts with the accessory collar. She was not a happy camper at all! Of course, maybe if I knitted, she would have been more receptive! lol

julia May 20, 2009 at 7:32 PM  

Poor Chewy looks so sad :( I think she needs Auntie Julia to bring some dog treats and rub her ears in that sad little cone.

Bran May 21, 2009 at 12:21 PM  

I hope you don't mind that I'm crashing your tea times. I think it would be great for you to set up a Mr. Linky for it! http://adventuresofaflake.blogspot.com/2009/05/tea-time-thursday.html

Rachel@oneprettything.com May 23, 2009 at 5:23 PM  

Poop doggie but GO YOU GUYS for your crafty ingenuity. I love it!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP