Lunch Time
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Lunchtime at our house has become a big deal. Muffin Tins on Mondays, Tea Parties on Thursdays and Bentos on Saturdays. For a mom - it can be a bit tiring to be creative for every lunch. I welcome the occasional macaroni and cheese lunch. But sometimes, the kids are looking for more. Like yesterday.
Robbie really wanted a fun lunch - hoping for a Muffin Tin. I was tired and suggested just a quesadilla. He wasn't having it and told me that he would make lunch if I was too tired. I told him to go for it.
I couldn't have been more pleased with the outcome. I really need to allow him this freedom more often. Look what he made - one for himself and one for his sister. I love that he's getting older... and can make a lunch that I would be proud of.
Contents: Carrots, cold noodle salad, string cheese, corn and a jelly sandwich... and he added a cup of milk to wash it all down.
Look how proud he is. Admittedly, I keep any less nutritional food out of his read, but to his credit, he wasn't looking for any and he was thrilled with the things he found. He at it all and Lyssie only left the noodles and a few sandwich pieces. It was a big confidence builder for him and his sister loves when her big brother takes care of her (he also involved her in the making of this meal by allowing her to put everything on the tray).
Watching our kids get older can be bittersweet. I love to see his independence emerge - but I find myself remembering back to the times when I could hold him in one hand. Those times where I had his undivided attention because he couldn't move away from me :) Oh... the good ol' days! I really need to dig some of those old pictures out.
3 comments:
That's so great!! He did a great job!
love your blog! look forward to reading it every day!
It also really makes me want a muffin tin monday or a tea party thursday of my own!! :)
Your kids are so lucky to have such a wonderfully involvled mother!
That is so sweet. And he looks SO proud! I'm going to suggest it to my 5-year old and see if he's as interested--I'm sure he will be.
(We missed the Thursday tea party lunch, because we were at Disneyland. We'll try to do it this week!)
Post a Comment