Not so neighborly
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
This morning I woke up to a bird frenzy in out back yard. First, there was a small bird (not sure what kind it is as it was swooping pretty fast and never stopped for me to get a good look at) picking at the straw that they have put into our back neighbor's vent. I saw them flying in there a few days ago and had mentioned in to Kasey. Well, looks like they've bought the place!
Then, there was chaos above one the the few tall trees we can see from our backyard. Crows were circling - about 8-10 of them, cawing loudly, and swooping down at something in the branches. I could see a roundish form in the tree... had no idea where the binoculars were, so I tried snapping a photo. From my best guess... it's a hawk and the crows don't seem too happy to have in their neighborhood. I can only guess that they are trying to protect their nests.
I think the hawk might also have a little one with it on the right... so maybe giving it's young some lessons? The hawk isn't bothered at all by all the diving, swooping and commotion being caused by the other birds. Perhaps the crows have now tipped him off that there is something worth staying for.

2 comments:
Have your neighbor check that vent to make sure its not for her dryer. My sister moved into a new home last year, purchased brand new high eff. LG's only for the dryer to break down the first week she had it. Turns out birds had built nests in the dryer vent and it caused the dryer to overheat and a fuse to blow!
Yikes! I'll have to go over there to tell them - and I'll have to keep an eye on ours!
Post a Comment