Must be love

Sunday, March 9, 2008

A few months back, I purchased a cute little green Hello Kitty sewing machine. It was on clearance and I really need a back up machine. Plus, I've been wanting to teach Robbie to sew. He often helps me out... helps guide things through the machine as I work the pedal, helps pin, helps remove pins as I'm sewing... in otherwords, he's right there with me. Why not have him help!

Of course, we are far from cutting him loose on the machine... but today we took the first steps in teaching him how to use the little Hello Kitty machine. He did surprising well. We designed a hat figuring it would be one of the easiest, immediate gratification items we could make. And... hats can be a little forgiving at times... especially when they sit on kids heads.

Our first prototype came out really darling. He's modelling it, but it really fits me best. I made the stitched the applique (a dinosaur of course) and he did the rest of the stitching with my help guiding it through the machine. He worked the pedal and was very cautious. It was a good start!

The second hat came out much better in fit. And I absoultely love it on Lyssie. I made the little fringe on top, but Robbie did most of the stitching (I say most because I finished up the rim of the hat so he could go ride his bike outside - end the sewing lesson).

Lyssie was excited to take photos outside wearing the hat. And when I see the photo... the song "it must be love" goes through my head. She's just too cute! Oh... and the hat is not half bad either.





We'll be posting his hats on my On A Whimm site. These hats were made from my scrap pile and were inspired by Telepathy. Check out her hats - they are awesome. I wish I could afford to own one.

1 comments:

Woven Chains March 10, 2008 at 8:55 PM  

My little one has been learning to sew with her Grandma, but they work it just the opposite. She crouches underneath and works the foot pedal while Ma guides the fabric. It is absolutely hysterical. It is so good to see our little ones learning to craft at a young age. Hopefully handmade will be appreciated for a long time.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP